At 2:11 PM +0000 12/17/03, Arthur Bergman wrote:
On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 02:06 pm, Dan Sugalski wrote:

Well... yes and no. You need to make sure Parrot links against the thread libraries. You don't, strictly speaking, need to have perl linked against the threading libraries except... several (perhaps most) platforms *really* hate it when you dlopen (or its equivalent) the thread libraries and *haven't* linked your main executable against them. Tends to crash or lock up your process, which kind of sucks.

If you have it such that parrot is linked directly into the main perl executable so that it's loaded as part of the process startup, then you don't need to link in the thread libraries to perl. If you're loading parrot as a perl extension, then you will. (It isn't necessary to build a threaded perl for this, FWIW, you just need to make sure perl loads in the thread library)

Yes, but making sure perl loads the thread library is pretty much the same as saying that perl needs be threaded :).

No, it isn't. It's perfectly possible, and reasonably simple, to get perl linking against thread libraries--the VMS port does this by default, and I'm surprised that the other platforms don't. (I never bothered looking) Access any of the pthread library routines, even pthread_self, and it's in. Perl won't be threaded, but the thread libraries will be linked in.

I don't really like that you cannot build parrot without linking in pthread.

Tough. :) Parrot's threaded, and links in threads. We don't do much with them yet, but we're working on that. (So things will only get worse, not better, as time goes on for threads)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk