Matt Greenwood wrote:

        I have a newbie question. If the answer exists in a doc, just
point the way (I browsed the docs directory). What is the design
rationale for so many opcodes in parrot?

Let me try as another newbie... ;-)

Since the opcodes of parrot are not directly supported by any existing hardware,
at least not now ;-), they have to be mapped to native code during execution.
This costs something per parrot-operation.  So if there are many different opcodes
in parrot with powerful functionality behind them, this overhead does not hurt so
much, because a parrot instruction gets a lot of stuff done.  At least I heard this
kind of explanation for Perl5, which uses something slightly like parrot internally
as well.

Maybe this reduces the answer by the real experts to a yes/no? ;-)

Best regards,

Karl