Hey folks.

Now that we're integrating in with perl 5, a few things are becoming really obvious.

First, we really need to work on the embedding interface. Memory handling, signals, and I/O are the biggies there. Working on that, though not fast enough for Arthur.

Second, we're running over the same problems in system configuration that perl (and python, and ruby, for that matter) have already run across. Moreover, we're making the same decisions, only... differently. This is silly both because we're re-inventing the wheel and we're making the wheel with metric nuts instead of english.

We could go dig through perl's configure every time we add a new environment probe, but that'll get really old really quick. Instead, what I'd like is for someone (Oh, Brent... :) to go through perl's configure and dig out the tests in it, as well as the defaults that it has and just get all the config variables in once and for all. While some of what's in there we don't have to deal with (joys of C89 as a minimum requirement) there's a lot of hard-won platform knowledge in there and ignoring it's foolish.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk