Juerd: your message arrived in my inbox as an attachment due to a mail server
along the way not recognizing the "charset" value.  It should be "utf-8"
with the hyphen, not "utf8".  Also for that reason all the non-ASCII
characters (like the Yen symbol) came through as '?' here.

> Kara Perlistoj,

And that should be "Karaj" to agree with the modified noun. :)

> However, the broken bar is in my opinion a bad choice. As some have
> pointed out, because the similarity with |. Historically, 1, l, I and |
> have always aided in obfuscation. Adding a(nother) broken bar to it
> would be a mistake.

I agree here.  Whether | has a break in your font or not, we don't need
yet another tall, skinny character to add to the confusion.  (Although
"I" doesn't belong on the list.  Anyone using a sans-serif font for
programming purposes completely deserves any confusion that results. :))

> One obvious reason for reaching out to unicode characters is the
> restricted number of non-alphanumeric characters in ASCII. But why do
> infix operators have to be non-alphanumeric?

They don't - but they do have to "look like operators".  Thanks to the
multiplication symbol, lowercase 'x' looks like an operator to many
people.  Most alphanumerics don't.

> I think the ¥(yen) suggestion is great, especially since it does indeed
> look like a zipper. Still, I would very much like an ASCII infix
> alternative for zip().

> I propose z as the ASCII alternative for the infix zip operator (either
> broken bar or yen). With some imagination, it is a good candidate for
> representing interleaving. Besides that, zip() starts with a z so it is
> easy to remember even if you don't think it looks like something that
> zips.

I think if we go with ¥ for the Unicode operator, the logical choice
for an ASCII equivalent would be Y.  You could read it as Spanish "and",
if you like. :)

-Mark