On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 03:12:58PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 12:35, Juerd wrote:
>
> > backticks encourage interpolation.
>
> ... and?
>
> >From the point of view of a Web developer who deals with (potentially)
> hostile data, I see the problem (though the solution is smarter
> tainting, not removing functionality). From the point of view of a
> general purpose programmer who might just want the result of `id
> $user`... no, you're trying to apply the (important!) best practices of
> one area of programming to the rest of the world.
>
> The guy who does nothing but write genetic modeling systems is
> scratching his head wondering why the heck you're so worried about
> interpolation, and rightly so.

The guy who mostly writes one-shot short scripts to
massage his own data wonders why you want to make his
job harder in the name of protecting him against the
possibility that his evil sub-concious alter ego is
plotting to subvert him.  Let me keep my rope dammit.
I have no intention of hanging myself.