[Rod == [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:10:34 -0500]

Jared> I haven't yet seen an example presented where using a Unicode
Jared> operator would save keystrokes, for instance.

Rod> That depends entirely on how you plan to generate them. If you
Rod> are relying on a special command in your editor of choice, yes,
Rod> the ASCII equiv is fewer keystrokes. If, however, you remap your
Rod> keyboard (easily doable in X and Win32, I'd assume Macs can as
Rod> well), then the common Unicode characters are an AltGr
Rod> away. Thus, « one shifted keystroke (AltGr-[), << is two shifted
Rod> keystrokes (Shift-, Shift-,).

Ok.  A reasonable point that hasn't been made yet in this multi-month
discussion.  It'll never actually "save" me characters, however; the
most I'll achieve is parity.

I'll be more likely to remap MyMod-> to the macro '>>' than that
similar-looking Unicodey character I don't know (or care) how to make
yet.  And MyMod-Y to expand to 'zip', not <Unicode Yen>.

Presumably, the argument for Unicode operators needs to (and does) go
deeper than "saving keystrokes".  TIMTOWTDI is the best argument I've
seen thus far, with this little keyboard remapping discussion as an
excellent example.

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"One cannot mark the point without marking the path."