At 11:04 AM -0700 8/13/04, Larry Wall wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:45:43AM -0700, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
: I would assume (hope) that these tables would not be allowed to change
: once Parrot started using them.  It seems like an extremely dangerous
: thing to have two calls to read() be performed by different functions,
: after all.

Just as a datapoint, Perl 6's .wrap/.unwrap will have to work at run
time, because one person's compile time is another person's run time.
We deliberately fuzz them in Perl, because most compilation policy
is actually set by running bits of Perl code.

These are playing at a different level, and different rules apply. Interpreter-level subs'll be overridable. That's not a problem. The issue here is whether we let the interpreter swap out what's the equivalent of functions in the C runtime. *That*, I think, we're not going to allow. Later, maybe, but not now.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk