Moin,

On Monday 16 August 2004 22:00, Kirrily Skud Robert wrote:
> In looking through perlnewmod, perlmodlib, perlmodstyle, and other
> related POD today, I found that most of them are out of date and not in
> keeping with recent trends in module writing, testing/QA, etc.  So, with
> a due sense of foreboding, I have dived in once again.  Errr, hi, long
> time no p5p.

"Hello again" :)

Some comment:

+it connected to the rest of the CPAN, you'll need to go to "Register
+Namespace" on PAUSE.  Once registered, your module will appear in the
+by-module and by-category listings on CPAN.

Only a very few of my modules are registered in that namespace. For
instance, Math::BigInt::Pari is, while Math::BigInt::GMP is not. The reason
is simple: It never worked. I think I sent at least GMP at least two times
to the register namespace black hole, and it never happened.

AFAIR there was only one guy (Hi Andreas :) working on the registrations,
and only every two weeks on Sunday or something like that.

So, two (honest) questions:

* does it work better now, e.g. should I resub mit my module(s)?
* What exactly is the registration good for? I mean, all my dozend or so
modules work, and are "connected to the rest of CPAN" or whatever this
means.

I cannot remember when I used the by-module or by-category listings on CPAN
- - I always just use "search.cpan.org" for whatever I need installing, and
even if I look for a module that I don't want to reinvent, I just hit
keywords into search.cpan.org until there is no tomorrow and I found
something I can (ab)use.

So, if the "register namespace" isn't too usefull and/or doesn't work fine,
why burden new authors with it?

Best wishes,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Tue Aug 17 19:16:51 2004 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Now, admittedly, it's critical software. This is the 'let's go kill
 people' software." -- Mark A. Welsh III