  >> > What I'm planning on is a VMS-style quota, privilege, and identifier
  >>> system.
  >>
  >> Pagan heretic -- you shall burn in the purifying flames of RSTS/E!

  DS> Mmmm, RSTS/E. And BASIC/PLUS 2.6. Now *those* were the days. Now,
  DS> where did I put my overlaying linker...

RT-11 had a neat feature with overlays. since you could have more
physical ram (22 bits of address) than virtual ram (16 bits) you could
use the extra ram for overlays instead of disk. this was much faster as
you would imagine. all the overlay runtime code had to do was mung a few
memory management registers. i did that myself to load audio data into
the high ram (where the dma hardware could directly access it as it had
22 physical address bits in it).

you kiddies are SO SPOILED today. :) what is amazing is how you can
actually have more physical ram today (4GB) than virtual again (on 32
bit boxes of course)! my how history repeats! :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com