On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:20:09AM -0700, chromatic wrote:
> If you don't have an ithreads-capable Perl, T::B won't use threads.
>
> If you do, it must,

Ideally, I would agree.  But I think a compromise is in order, because
perl threads aren't that mature and are error-prone to program.  And
most tests, even of threaded code, will call T::B from a single thread
anyhow.

There are two ways to do the compromise:

1.  Go thread safe in T::B if threads has already been used, which just
    requires the programmer to use threads (or use a library that uses
    threads) before T::B--which he probably would do anyway.

2.  Go thread safe in T::B only if the programmer requests it
    explicitly.  I would favor this, because I still see perl threads as
    experimental.

I think either of these is a reasonable trade-off.

Andrew

[1] http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/65583