Dan writes:
> [...]
> Yes, and some of the initial list already has ops to do those bits,
> though I fully plan on evil cheating versions for some extra speed.

If I recall correctly, someone with the best intentions attempted
to write a clear, object-oriented (but still C/C++ based) regex
engine to replace the existing highly hairy code.  As a result it
missed fitting in the cache, and ended up being like two orders
of magnitude slower.

Not arguing for premature optimization, but anyone thinking about
regex might want to look ahead (get it?) to the end game where
regex pretty much has to be within .2x of its current speed.

F.