On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:52:01AM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> Ok, this is probably a moot conversation because Metaconfig
> (http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-12/compile_03.html) was written by Larry
> Wall for rn, and the Perl community has some serious social inertia when
> it comes to switching to any other configuration tool.

Well, I have personally no problem with metaconfig, it is indeed much
more perlish than autoconf, and that's probably not the worst thing when
it comes to a Perl runtime engine.

The question is (and that's something I don't know much about) if
metaconfig is able to handle cross builds correctly. Not being able to
crosscompile Perl for embedded systems was in way too much projects a
showstopper for using Perl for me, so doing something against this would
something I would probably spend some time into if it makes sense at
all. At the time when perl 5 started metaconfig was surely a good thing,
but I doubt it can do what autotools is able to manage today. But that's
probably a political decision.

Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4