----- Original Message -----
From: Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2004 3:09 pm
Subject: Re: Current state?

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:47:24PM -0400, JOSEPH RYAN wrote:
> : We tried that as an optimization in the prototype
> : Perl6 compiler.  It ended up being a really really
> : really bad idea because the grammar backtracked like
> : a madman.  It might be workable if we can infuse
> : <commit>'s in every location possible...
>
> I presume you mean the lower-level backtracking controls.  A <commit>
> can only cause you to fail completely, and then only if you backtrack
> over it.  (Or are you referring specifically to efficient error
> recovery?)

Well, I meant in the sense of "Ok, since we're
<commit>ing here, we should assume that everything
we've already parsed is ok (i.e., we're not going to
backtrack over it).  Its now ok to translate it into
PIR without wasting our time."  The idea was to
reduce/eliminate the translation of code that might
get backtracked over.

- Joe