I fear, and with good reasons, that this may be too wild a case of an extremization, but I wonder wether, just like for example strings are implemented by means of special (quote-like) operators, sigils, instead of being syntactical creatures could be (sort of special) operators themselved and thus allow attributes/methods or even adverbs...

Michele -- The reason I want to do this is that I am drawing up legal documents, and sometimes when I send out to a client I want to have a footnote to explain some point of godawful convoluted legal prose (why don't I just write it clearly in the first place??! Different topic....) - "DrMemory" in comp.text.tex, "Re: Footnotes: turning them on/off"