On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 10:01:42PM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
: We've also said that MY is a pseudopackage referring to the current
: lexical scope so that you can hand off your lexical scope to someone
: else to read (but not modify, unless you are currently compiling
: yourself).  However, random subroutines are not allowed access
: to your lexical scope unless you specifically give it to them,
: with the exception of $_ (as in 1 above).  Otherwise, what's the
: point of lexical scoping?

Note that this definition of MY as a *view* of the current lexical
scope from a particular spot is exactly what we already supply
to an C<eval>, so we're not really asking for anything that isn't
already needed implicitly.  MY is just the general way to invoke the
pessimization you would have to do for an C<eval> anyway.

Larry