Mark Stosberg wrote:

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 07:45, Mark Stosberg wrote:
So, what resources are recommended to consult to make great estimates?
What habits to develop?

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. There is one theme I haven't
heard anyone mention:

The purely scientific approach that I assume involves collecting a lot o
data and using complex formulas.

You probably know about "original wiki", www.c2.com

  http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?WelcomeVisitors

Part of XP methodology is to compare your estimates with real progress and find out the "speed" of implementing. IIRC I read about it at:

  http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ChangeYourOrganizationDiary

but cannot find it now. I found only

  http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ProjectCostEstimates

I am not a XP zealot, not even a follower. I maybe would like to try XP,
but I am little scared - and we do not do XP here anyway... :(

Couple of other interesting links I found out at c2 wiki:
(unfortunately I did not have time to read them all)

  http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CategoryCaseStudy
  http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProcess
  http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CategoryProject

wikipedia has also a link:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_planning

Sorry, but the only personal experience I have is in company I worked before: They set up a metric to estimate cost (couple months after I left), and within a year most of company were outsourced to India, including obligatory training of own replacement. So I was the last one who left, and was not fired. :-(

Sorry if this post is too OT.

HTH

--
Peter Masiar