> The offending line in config/gen/makefiles/dynclasses_pl.in
> is probably this one:
>
>     $LD $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS $LD_LOAD_FLAGS $LIBPARROT
>
> That CFLAGS doesn't belong there.  CFLAGS are intended to be sent to $CC,
> not to $LD. The command being called here is $LD, which is defined in
> config/init/data.pl as the "Tool used to build shared libraries and
> dynamically loadable modules."
>
> I no longer remember why LD is set to 'ld' on Tru64 -- is it just Ultrix
> heritage combined with lots of inertia or is it really a sensible setting?

Could well be Ultrix heritage, but in any case the parameter syntaxes of
Tru64 cc and ld are rather different and non-intersecting, and the cc
doesn't automatically pass through unknown parameters to ld (one needs
to use the -W for explicit passing.)

The cc and ld manpages for example here (blame HP for the awful URLs):
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/MAN/MAN1/0607____.HTM
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/MAN/MAN1/0668____.HTM

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this