Moin,

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 20:33, Kevin Scaldeferri wrote:
> I'm wondering if I'm the only one who would love to see
> Devel::Cover::Regex?  Many (most?) perl programs are pretty regex
> heavy, and if we are honest with ourselves, we have to admit that each
> regex is actually a program in itself.  You can try to throw lots of
> inputs at it and hope that you were thorough enough, but most of us
> aren't that good at figuring out all the crazy ways a regex could
> execute.  I think this would be a very useful extension to
> Devel::Cover, although I imagine that it's pretty tricky to do.  Even
> figuring out how to display the results might be tough to do well.
>
> Occasionally I have fantasies of having enough free time to really dig
> into the internals of the regex engine and trying to do this, but to be
> honest I don't really see it happening for me.  So, I figure the next
> best thing is to throw this idea out here and see if anyone else runs
> with it.

Cool idea. At least for:

        /^(foo|bar|test)$/

(e.g. constant substrings) you could take note whether the test ever has input
that matches them or not. F.i. the regexp above should be at least tested
with:

        foo
        bar
        test
        somethingelse
        nofoo
        foono
        barfoo
        foobar

and probably some variants.. However, I think in my code I would throw foo and
bar and test at it and then forget to extend the tests when the regexp
mutates to:

        /^(foo|bar|tests?|foobar)$/

:(=)

Best wishes,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Tue Dec  7 20:55:26 2004 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Duke Nukem Forever is a 1999 game and we think that timeframe matches
 very well with what we have planned for the game." - George Broussard,
 1998 (http://tinyurl.com/6m8nh)