On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:41:56AM -0800, Ovid wrote:
> --- Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:26:02AM -0800, David Wheeler wrote:
> > > 1. Perl gets smarter about duping file handles, so that the dupes
> > get
> > > the same i/o layer settings as the handles they dupe.
> >
> > Changing this going forwards doesn't change any of the installed
> > perls out there in the wild.
>
> So far, given that this problem  has only surfaced in relation to
> Unicode, I can't say I'm overly concerned about fixing it on versions
> of Perl where Unicode is already known to be broken.  Of course, as

Which you're sort of implying is all versions up to and including 5.8.6 :-)
(Well, I can misread it as that. I don't think that you really are implying
this).

Personally I'd be quite happy using anything 5.8.3 or later with Unicode.
The later the better, as more bugs have got fixed. But I feel that Unicode
isn't more broken than any other existing part of perl by 5.8.1. And they
are out there, and they aren't going away rapidly.

Nicholas Clark