Larry Wall wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:39:52AM -0700, Luke Palmer wrote:
: I'm pretty sure that =:= does what you want. If you have two scalar
: references, you might have to spell it like this:

Unnecessary, I think.  I want

    $x =:= @y

to tell me whether the reference in $x is to the same array as @y.

$x = 42; $a = \$x but false; $b = \$y but blue;

If it's true, then the =:= operator is pretty useless -- two things that are =:= to each-other can have very different semantics. If it's not, then there needs to be some other way to tell. $$a =:= $$b feels sane to me. So does $a == $b.

I generally don't like it when things half-smudge important differences. Either there should be no difference between a reference and a referent, or there should be. We shouldn't try to hide important truths. (This is why I don't like CGI.pm's HTML generation, for example -- it makes you feel like you don't need to know HTML, when you do.)

-=- James Mastros