Michael Graham wrote:
Another good reason to ship all of your development tests with code is
that it makes it easer for users to submit patches with tests.  Or to
fork your code and retain all your development tools and methods.

Perl::MinimumVersion, which doesn't exist yet, could check that the version a module says it needs is higher than what Perl::MinimumVersion can work out based on syntax alone.

And it uses PPI... all 55 classes of it... which uses Class::Autouse, which uses Class::Inspector, and prefork.pm, and Scalar::Util and List::Util, oh and List::MoreUtils and a few other bits and pieces.

I'm not going to push that giant nest of dependencies on people just so they can install Chart::Math::Axis...

So I run it in my packaging pipeline. It's a low percentage test that catches some annoying cases that bite me once a year.

And I should probably not talk about the RecDescent parser for the bundled .sql files, or the test that ensures that any bundled .gif files are at something close to their best possible compression level.

Adam K