On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:46:53PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:00, Luke Palmer wrote:
> > Aaron Sherman writes:
>
> > > Well, more to the point, autothreading of junctions will hit the wall of
> > > Parrot duping the interpreter. That's probably not something you want to
> > > suffer just to resolve a junction, is it?
> >
> > What?  Why will it do that?
>
> Why? Well, you can read what Dan wrote, 'cause I'm sure not going to
> pretend I'm enough of a threads programmer to have an educated opinion:
>

> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/msg/18b86bff49cac5a0?dmode=source
>         We'd decided that each thread has its own interpreter. Parrot
>         doesn't get any lighter-weight than an interpreter, since trying
>         to have multiple threads of control share an interpreter seems
>         to be a good way to die a horrible death.
>         -Dan Sugalski / 14 Apr 2005

I believe these are two distinct uses of the term "threading".
Autothreading of junctions is orthogonal to parrot interpreter
threads.  Junction autothreading does *NOT* require interpreter
threads.  Junction autothreading just means that routines will be
executed for each element of the junction (not necessarily in
parallel).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Scott
--