Not really, except insofar as we've talked about compact classes of
native types working like C structs.  There are lots of nitty things
we can fix with pack/unpack, but the basic underlying problem is
that pack/unpack are defined operationally rather than declaratively.

I think it's worth taking a look at Marcus Holland-Moritz'
powerful Convert::Binary::C ( http://search.cpan.org/dist/Convert-Binary-C/ ). It already offers a way to declaratively convert to/from binary
data, which could serve as inspiration for a similar Perl6 interface.

Greetings,
  Christian Renz

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"If God were a Kantian, who would not have us till we came to Him from
the purest and best motives, who could be saved?"
   -- C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain