--- Leopold Toetsch via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Clement Cherlin wrote:
>
> > ... I agree that it's a somewhat
> > ugly workaround, but it was the simplest method I could think of.
> Can
> > you suggest an alternate solution?
>
> TEST_FILES in makefiles/root.in has forward slashes. During creation
> of
> the Makefile these get somewhere converted to backslashes. This
> conversion isn't needed (or wrong for MingW), if these files are part
> of
> a perl commandline (or not at all for MingW).
>
> But I actually don't know, where the conversion happens, sorry.
>
> leo

I know where the conversion takes place, that's what my patch modifies.
The point I am trying to make is that the conversion is needed for
MinGW when using command.com, because command.com doesn't understand
forward slashes. I can't get by with forward slashes in makefiles;
Parrot will not build. Perl and the MinGW tools understand both forward
slashes and backslashes just fine. The only problem is that make treats
backslashes as an escape character when they precede an asterisk. So
the patch doubles up backslashes that precede asterisks. With this
patch, Parrot builds and make test runs.