Hi,

Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:56:32PM +0200, Ingo Blechschmidt wrote:
>> Maybe we should just hardcode the filehandles-leaking-into-runtime
>> case in the compiler? And, if the compiler can't detect the problem
>> at compile-time, just throw a runtime exception?
>>
>>     my $fh = BEGIN { open "some_file" };
>>     =$fh;  # "Can't readline() on unopened filehandle leaked
>>            # from compile-time into runtime, try to..."
>
> Aren't filehandles just part of a more general case of the compiler
> serialising something out to the bytecode on disk that can't actually
> be serialised? So the attempt at serialisation of a file handle,
> directory handle, database handle, shared memory handle or any other
> external resource should fail? (Unless that resource class has a
> viable serialise/deserialise system)

yep. So my question is: How can I tell the Perl 6 compiler how it can
serialize my special object? How can I ask it to not serialize my
special object?

BTW, is it even necessary to support user-defined serializing
behaviours? (After all, an Item can only be an Int, Num, Str, Ref, Bit,
Pair, Junc, Type, Code, Undef, and Object in PIL2 [1].)

--Ingo

[1] http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/src/PIL/Val.hs

--
Linux, the choice of a GNU | Row, row, row your bits, gently down the
generation on a dual AMD   | stream...