Hi!

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 03:43:02PM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> I know the whole kwalitee thing sort of stalled out at 17 tests, but
> what would be involved in adding some more? There's obviously been
> enough interest from people trying to boost their

You might be aware that I did a talk at YAPC::Europe on CPANTS. Slides are
here:
http://domm.zsi.at/talks/2005_braga_cpants/

I also did a new Catalyst-based frontend that can be reached here:
http://cpants.perl.org

Unfourtunalty my server seems to have crashed last night, and I'm working
remote, so I had to kick our sysadmin to get it back up running.

I also removed some bugs on my way home from Braga, so I'm currently
rerunning the tests which should finish in a few hours.

As the frameworks seems to be quite stable now, my plan is to add more
metrics.

> missing_no_index:
>
> Only the libraries (and .pod docs) in your dist should be indexed)
> things in inc/ and t/ and examples/ etc should NOT be indexed. Thus,
> there should be a no_index entry in the meta.yml for all of these
> directories (if they have .pm files in them).

Sounds easy to implement. I'll add it in a future release (which might take
some weeks as I'm rather drowning in various $jobs AND renovating/moving to
a new appartment). See below...

> has_perl_dependency:
>
> In the META.yml (assuming it exists) there is a dependency on the
> version of perl required to install the dist.
>
> The goal of this is to make life a little easier on installers and CPAN
> testers and a few other things.
>
> Many many modules should pass this test already.
>
> The main goal however, is to help enable the NEXT kwalitee test to have
> better coverage.

Hmm. I never added this of any to my dists.

It might also be annoying for people if authors add a newer version of Perl
as a prereq than they have installed and some installer then goes off to
fetch & install a new version of Perl. (And it's a lot of hassle to find the
exact lowest version of Perl you need).

> bad_perl_dependency:
>
> The caching and mass processing facilities in PPI are getting close to
> being able to regularly process all of CPAN.

Yay! I have PPI on my TODO-List for quite some time.

> The first demo of this I'm
> hoping to do is a use of Perl::MinimumVersion to find cases where a
> module is listed as working with (for example) Perl 5.005, but the
> module syntax shows that it needs 5.006. (and thus the version
> dependency is wrong).
>
> I later plan to expand this to include cases where it says it should run
> with 5.005, but it has a dependency on some other module (recursively)
> that needs 5.006, or you accidentally put 5.006 code in your test
> scripts, and thus fails depsite the code in that actual module for the
> module being ok.

Hmm. Sounds interesting. But quite though to achieve...

> How do I add these, and will it break the database? Personally, I think
> it's time to start raising the kwalitee bar a little more :)

I'll write something up on how to add new metrics soon. Or take a look at
any of the files in
http://search.cpan.org/src/DOMM/Module-CPANTS-Generator-0.40/lib/Module/CPANTS/Generator/

Basically you need to get the data in C<analyse> and store it in the DB. To
add new fields to the DB, alter C<schema>. Then add a new entry to
C<kwalitee_indicators>

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at