Andy Lester wrote:
Usually, Test::* modules are only used for the test phase.

I really don't understand the idea of "only used for the test phase", as if the tests don't matter, or if there are levels of failure. Either they install OK on the target system, and you can use them with confidence, and they've done their job, or you're going to ignore the tests completely and then who needs 'em?

It's like if I'm installing a washing machine, and I don't have a level. I can say "Ah, I only need it for the installation, and it looks pretty level, so I don't need the level", or I can say "I'm not using this appliance until I've proven to myself that the machine is level and won't cause me any problems in the future because of an imbalance."

I've always thought tests passing should be a requisite of make by default. Make fails if tests fail. There should of course be a -skiptests to opt out of testing for those who insist on not doing it, but for the most part, if tests are so important like we the perl community say they are, then they should be run as part of make. Period.

Not a popular opinion, but there it is.

-=Chris