On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:44:17AM +0100, Jonathan Worthington wrote:
> "Joshua Hoblitt via RT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>[jhoblitt - Mon Sep 19 22:28:00 2005]:

> The only way we can *really* fix this is by not storing the magic number in
> native endian form.  At the moment we have to read the byteorder before the
> magic number so we can transform it into native form.
>
> Of course, there's nothing to prevent us putting in a "hack" that says "is
> this magic number OK in any of the byte orderings we support".

I was looking at adding pbc support to 'file' this morning and the only
way to handle that would be to test for both byte orderings of the magic
number.

> This is a design decision - Chip (or leo), which road should we go down?
> Change the packfile format, or code around the current way we do it?

I agree.  Some possible options are:

a) live with it
b) change the magic number to be two identical bytes so the byte
   ordering doesn't matter
c) shrink the magic number to be a single byte

> >>The issue seems to be related to the jit core being in use.  I can't
> >>recreate it on amd64 (no jit)
> I can't see any way it could be something to do with the JIT core, or any
> runcore.  We haven't even entered one at the point the above error is given.

Fair enough.  I should have said it's related to the '-j' flag.

> >Jonathan has volunteered to look into this.  Thanks.
> >
> I'll do what I can.

Your willingness to help is much appreciated.

-J