Joshua~

On 10/3/05, Joshua Hoblitt via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Sun Aug 22 17:19:34 2004]:
> >
> > All~
> >
> > This patch is an early step in getting a scons based build system for
> > parrot.  Currently, it leaves the make system in place, the goal being
> > to add a SCons system alongside the make system until the scons one is
> > entirely ready.
> >
> > This patch allows scons to build foo.c and foo.dump files from
> > foo.pmc.  It will automatically detect dependencies between various
> > PMC's and rebuild them as appropriate.
> >
> > Obviously this requires SCons to be installed on the system (and SCons
> > requires Python).  But since parrot can be built without it, I figured
> > that this was a non-issue.
> >
> > If any one has a burning itch to implement other parts of this system,
> > feel free to email me so we can collaborate.
> >
> > Have fun,
> > Matt
> >

> Matt,
>
> There has been alot of discussion about build systems on #parrot
> recently so I'm CCing p6i.
>
> Is SCons really an option for Parrot?  I don't really know much about it
> but since it's implimented in Python, and Python hasn't been ported to
> all the platforms we hope to run on, wouldn't it introduce a serious
> portability issue?
>
> -J

I brought it up on the list first, and Dan was OK with it because
scons can output a series of commands (like a bat file or batch
script) to build from scratch (no smart dependency checks).  This also
provides a way to break the make dependency.

All that having been said, I probably won't get around to finishing
this anytime soon, and I don't think most of the others are interested
in it.  Although it also would solve the problem of our make system
being broken WRT dependency checking.

Matt
--
"Computer Science is merely the post-Turing Decline of Formal Systems Theory."
-Stan Kelly-Bootle, The Devil's DP Dictionary