The problem seemed to be in the ncurses_life.imc file. At line 324, it uses wattron but it either attron should be used, or STDSCR added to the argument list. But, another problem. Under FreeBSD 5.4, I had to edit ncurses.imc to comment out the whole libform section. I get this error when it's uncommented.

Couldn't load 'libform': /usr/lib/libform.so: Undefined symbol "stdscr"
current instr.: '__ncurses_init' pc 2107 (library/ncurses.imc:535)
Assertion failed: ((interpreter->ctx.bp_ps.regs_p[-1L-(cur_opcode[2])])->pmc_ext), function Parrot_dlfunc_p_p_sc_sc, file ops/core.ops, line 1164.