From: Matt Fowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:35:24 -0500

   . . .

   On 12/4/05, Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   > . . . Which HLLs are able to
   > divide their symbols into above categories? . . .
   >
   > Remaining for me is the distiction between a variable and a function
   > symbol:
   >
   > - python: no (all names are just names)
   > - tcl: afaik no (all names are strings)
   > - perl5: sometimes (via sigil, but $ref_tosub)
   > - perl6: maybe (sigil is part of the symbol name, but $ref)
   > - ???

   LISP - yes

   Matt

Actually, it's "yes" for Common Lisp, and "no" for Scheme.  But there's
a bit more to it than that:  Namespaces in Common Lisp map a name
(string) to a symbol, which is the object that holds the name's global
function and/or variable bindings, etc.  The add_sub/add_var interface
can be implemented in terms of symbols, though; I'm still digesting the
consequences, but I don't believe it will require anything more of
Parrot.

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/