I made the changes, adding the argv error handling(none of the docs state any necessity to handle no args so I'm not sure if it's necessary from their benchmarking point of view), and using ints when possible. If you were getting odd results, a difference between the c version and mine is the c version is a while loop and mine's a do while loop, off by one. Right now I'm getting around 1.8 seconds.