Perl6'ers

Is the "best" (most complete as to Perl6 Language) current setup (for experimenting with Perl6 source code) currently a hybrid: Pugs with embedded Parrot, or is it Perl5 with a large set of Perl6'ish modules. Or something else that I've missed.

For the former case (Pugs+Parrot) where is starting point for documentation for acquiring configuring and make'ing the right Pugs and Parrot bits?

Thanks,

P.S. I've tried Pugs in constructing a P52P6.p6 but even very simple "s//" regexes don't seem to work so I'm looking for how to extend Pugs with Parrot to get more P6Rules behavior or for whether I should switch to Perl5+ Perl6ish Packages.