Tels wrote:
On Saturday 28 January 2006 08:20, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
That is such an incredibly good idea. I've got plenty of bandwidth
to burn and I'm willing to set up debian.cpan.org.
Of course you must reliaze that, except for pure-perl modules and very controlled environments, binary distributions are doomed to fail.

You simple cannot guess what libraries/compiler/system/kernel the user has installed, unless you know the distribution and version *and* require that the user never updates anything.

There is a reason that modules are compiled/linked against the target system prior to installation, and there is also a reason to run the tests: to assure that that step really worked.

FreeBSD might get away with that because the user will ever only install their ports and they can make sure that they all play together. For everything else, this becomes a maintanance nightmare and I wish to be no part of that :)

Actually, this isn't so bad on Debian. The packaging system copes with having dependencies on particular versions of other packages, and Debian is VERY stable - libfoo just doesn't randomly change version.

--
David Cantrell