On Mar 14, 2006, at 18:33, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 01:06:10PM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
('::' is the namespace delimiter according to pdd21 and not to be taken
literally)

Indeed so; but the Perl and C++ usage is so ingrained that people are still
instinctively trying to use it.  So, it's time for a bigger hammer.

First, I'm modifying pdd21 to remove all occurrences of "::".

Hah - I've said that it's confusing ;-)

Second: Leo, in your copious free time (:-)) could you please tell me
whether it's feasible to add a hack to the PIR compiler so that compiling namespace ops, with a literal string parameter containing "::" will throw a warning? I don't want a runtime warning, but a compile-time warning will
avoid trouble.  (It's possible that by 1.0 we'll be able to kill the
warning, but I doubt it.)

I'll add the warning as soon as there is an answer, where all the parrot symbols and already existing lib "globals", including PGE*, should actually be stored into :-) Or some such. And, well, a compile-time warning still would break a lot of tests.

Anyway: as said, specifying namespaces needs also policy decisions for existing stuff.

The current implementation assumes in the absence of any .HLL directive that HLL_id := 0 aka 'parrot' and namespace is '::parrot' (errr).

leo