On 4/19/06, Ricardo SIGNES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Ovid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-04-19T04:02:31]
> > From a parser standpoint, there's no clean way of distinguishing that
> > from what the test functions are going to output.  As a result, I
> > really think that "diag" and normal test failure information should be
> > marked differently (instead of the /^# / that we see).
>
> I strongly agree.  This came up when TAP was being named, and also during a
> previous Harness upgrade.  Unfortunately, Harness and Straps discard comments
> and, as mentioned before, the STDOUT/STDERR makes it hard to associate
> diagonstic output with tests.
>
> How many things rely on which stream the various output methods in
> Test::Builder use?  I know there was trouble last time that things changed,
> but
> wasn't that entirely because of the disconnect between Test::Builder and
> Test::Builder::Tester?  Since they're now together, isn't that particular
> issue
> solved?
>
> There are other things that test test output, like Test::Tester.  Will they
> break?  To find out, I downloaded a pristene copy of the latest Test-Simple
> and
> Test-Tester and changed Test::Builder to use STDOUT for failure_output.  The
> only test that failed in the whole set was one that checked whether
> failure_output defaulted to STDERR.

Test-Tester (and modules using it) should not be impacted by this as
it is based on the Test::Builer object API. It collects the test
results while they are still Perl data, rather than scraping them out
of the test stream.

I'm not sure what test you are referring to, as far as I can tell,
Test-Tester doesn't check anything about failure_output. What .t file
is it in?