On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:34:55PM -0800, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> Please somebody figure out what Perl does on Win32 for testing sprintf,
> because the Perl sprintf test suite seems to think that the right value
> for sprintf('%e',1) is "1e+00", but Win32 seems to return "1e+000" (note
> the extra digit in the exponent).  Is this true?  If so, is it a bug?  In

(As an aside, well, "yes" it's a bug in as much as Win32's C library is not
ANSI conformant. (I read about this somewhere, possibly p5p). Someone said
that Microsoft missed a trick in that their folks on the C standardisation
committee could have re-drafted the standard to allow 3 or 2 digit exponents,
instead of just 2, and made this non-buggy)

> any case, how does the Perl test suite not fail on Win32?

As to a useful answer, er, I don't know. Sorry.

Nicholas Clark