Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:05:46AM -0800, Allison Randal wrote:

to every source file, and a maintenance burden. Both vim and emacs allow top-level settings of these preferences, which is a more appropriate place for them.

This assumes that all the projects you use the editor for have the same
standard. (assuming that you're meaning to set the defaults for C and Perl
formatting modes, rather than to use custom parrot-mode variants)

All it does is turn on cperl mode for emacs, and set tabs to 4 spaces for vim and emacs. Not likely to significantly interfere with any repository you work on. (I actually gave up on the tab key in vim years ago. I type literal spaces, and my brain automatically adjusts my indenting to the surrounding code. I don't even think about it anymore.)

If either emacs or vim were smarter about options, you could have a single preferences file in the top-level of the parrot repository and it would cover all the subdirectories. (Vim offers one .vimrc per directory, but it doesn't recurse into subdirectories. I don't know about emacs.)

I do like Chris's parrot-mode solution better than including the literal option commands in every file. It at least reduces the clutter and maintenance headaches.

Allison