On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 08:25 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 03:48:47PM -0800, chromatic wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 February 2007 12:40, Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:
> >
> > > What backends support packed native arrays at this point?  And what's
> > > the performance like?
> >
> > I don't know if Patrick has using PIR libraries working in Perl 6
> > yet, but the last time we talked about it, he said it would take
> > just a bit of work.
>
> No, I don't have them working yet, but implementing them shouldn't
> be too difficult.  I just need to have perl6 recognize imported
> classnames.  (The syntax for making method calls is already in
> place and working.)

Is there a page where you keep your working / in progress / not working
status information?  If so, I can look there to see how close Perl 6 on
Parrot is to what I'll need for the port.

As a simpler case than a full 3D engine port, I have some OpenGL
benchmarks in Perl 5 that I can port -- these have much reduced
requirements.  Principly, they need:

 1. Basic math and string operators (not grammars)
 2. Basic looping and simple control structures
 3. Basic subroutine handling
 4. Basic I/O: read file, print to STDOUT (printf is a bonus)
 5. Read access to command line args
 6. Perl scalars, hashes, and arrays, with one level nesting
 7. Packed arrays with access to raw data pointer to give to API
 8. eval (tight inner loops are generated)
 9. High-resolution time
10. Access to SDL & OpenGL constants
11. Procedural calls to OpenGL, with scalar return values
12. Procedural or OO calls to SDL, with scalar (and object, if OO)
return values (no callbacks)

Requirements 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 can all be worked around with some
effort, but the rest would be quite painful to work around.  It is
possible to do part of the benchmark without requirement 7 (the one that
started all this) just to make sure the other stuff is functional, but
it's a pretty limited benchmark without the packed arrays.

How is Perl 6 on Parrot doing with regard to the above list?

-'f