On 7/30/07, James Keenan via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue Jun 12 22:32:52 2007, jkeen <!-- x --> at verizon.net wrote:
>

> > So the task is to write unit tests for Parrot::Configure::runstep()
> > and, if appropriate, to refactor it, with that refactoring possibly
> > including renaming and/or relocating the subroutine.
> >

> I've partially accomplished this; see the reconfigure/ branch.  But to
> proceed further I'd like some input from users.
>
> If you have occasion to *re-run* configuration steps, you say something
> like this:
>
>     perl Configure.pl --step=gen::makefiles
>
> ... which would re-run step gen::makefiles.  What I need to learn is:
>
> When you run Configure.pl with the --step option, do you call it with
> *any other* options?  And, if so, which options?

see the 'Makefile' targets in config/gen/makefiles/root.in and
languages/perl6/config/makefiles/root.in

these are the only times i use --step=foo.

i do want to have the ability to script an entire configure session:
that is, pass specific options to specific steps. this could be useful
for cross-compilation (say, compiling on a desktop for a portable
device.)
~jerry