James Keenan via RT wrote:

I first tried setting the environmental variable, then using my startup
script in test mode:

$ echo $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
10.3

#!/bin/sh
CC="/usr/bin/gcc-3.3"
CX="/usr/bin/g++-3.3"
/usr/local/bin/perl Configure.pl --cc="$CC" --cxx="$CX" --link="$CX" \
    --ld="$CX" --without-icu \
    --test \
    --configure_trace \
    $@

Right, but I'm saying to set it in the startup script, rather than setting it in the command-line environment before you run the script. Unless you 'export' the environment variable setting, or set it on the same line as the call to the script, it won't be set inside the startup script (put an 'echo $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET' line inside your startup script and you'll see what I mean). If you set the environment variable inside the script, then it's guaranteed to be right (and you won't have to think about it every time you run the script).

(The default Parrot config hints should work on the default Apple setup. It's been a year since you posted to Perl Monks with the initial problem that made you force version 3.3 for the Parrot compile, and a lot has changed. Many of us are using gcc 4.0.1 now.)

Does that mean (a) that you are no longer supporting Parrot with gcc-3.3
on Darwin and (b) that I have to go out and buy a new computer if I want
a Mac with gcc-4.0.1?

Nope, it means I'm curious if compiling Parrot on your computer is now supported by 4.0.1.

The hints file for darwin can perform more checks based on compiler version and OS version if it turns out that different hints are required for certain versions of the compiler. In this case simply setting MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET should do the trick.

Allison