On Sun Apr 20 18:50:37 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [snip]
. Our configuration system ought to be
> getting
> easier to understand, to maintain, and modify.  Is it?  Our
> configuration
> tests ought to be getting more comprehensive, simpler, and valuable.
> Are
> they?

As to our configuration system in general, please see RT 53142 just
filed, which calls for a PDD to document our understanding of what our
current configuration system is and where it has to go.

As to the tests:  About a year ago particle suggested that, having
finished writing tests for the build tools, I turn my attention to
Configure.pl and the configuration step classes and, essentially, do
there what I had done with the build tools.  I did so.  In fact, some of
the first tests for the config step classes were written at the
post-YAPC hackathon in Houston, where you were also present.

But since that time I haven't had too much guidance from the Parrot
leadership on this, other than speaking with Allison a bit about it at
Pittsburgh Perl Workshop last October.  And since, as I describe in the
other RT, we don't have a PDD for configuration, I haven't been able to
design from scratch a testing system that better matches our needs.

If you could sketch an approach to testing that is simultaneously more
comprehensive, simpler, valuable and easier to understand, maintain and
modify, I might be able to work on that.

As to the question of whether people know how to write tests:  I think
there is empirical evidence that people know how to write tests for the
configuration steps.  For example, when François earlier submitted
config/auto/crypto.pm, it came with a very nice set of test files right
from the start.  In the past I have worked with people around this and I
pledge to continue to do so in the future.

Thank you very much.
kid51