On Fri, 30 May 2008, James Keenan via RT wrote:

> That will probably be possible.  But as I was staring at
> config/gen/makefiles/root.in, I couldn't figure out where $(PARROT_ARGS)
> is originally defined in line such as this:
>
> test : test_prep
>     $(PERL) t/harness $(EXTRA_TEST_ARGS) $(PARROT_ARGS)

> So can anyone identify the source of $(PARROT_ARGS)?

I believe that it was originally intended as a mechanism for the end
user to pass additional arguments to the parrot executable.  For
example,

        make test PARROT_ARGS=-D40

(though that -D40 has been useless for a couple of years now)

Alas, I suspect it probably doesn't generally work.  I seem to recall that
t/harness doesn't pass through unrecognized arguments, so something
sensible-looking like

        make test PARROT_ARGS='--runcore=gcdebug'

won't actually work.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]