Reini,

I would argue that we take a different approach with 'make reconfig'.
We need to get rid of it entirely.  In Parrot years, it's ancient code:

$ svn blame config/gen/makefiles/root.in | grep -n -A 3 reconfig
708:  4916   boemmels   @echo "  reconfig:          'clean' and redo
configuration."
1769:  7554   bernhard reconfig : clean
1770- 22967   bernhard  $(PERL) Configure.pl

And it doesn't DWIM.  Nowadays, if you want to redo configuration, you
need to call 'make realclean', as 'make clean' does not delete the files
created by Configure.pl.  (If you want to re-run one particular
configuration step, use tools/dev/reconfigure.pl.)

I guess that the existence of 'make reconfig' completely escaped me.  If
I had known about it, I would have recommended excising it, as it's
inconsistent with the way Configure.pl has worked for at least two years.

Now, there may very well be other reasons to retain the command-line
options.  Parrot::Configure::Options processes those options, and the
most important of them are available for the lifetime of the
Parrot::Configure object.  Given that, the question arises as to whether
they should be retained in the Makefile and/or in Parrot::Config.  I'm
now developing file-based configuration in a branch, and in that branch
I've chosen to store the parsed version of that file in Parrot::Config.

So, my recommendation is to hold off on deciding how to store
command-line options for the next week.  After I present this patch for
file-based configuration, we'll be in a better position to decide
how/where to store the command-line options data.

Thank you very much.
kid51