Jon Lang wrote:

> For that matter, I'm not seeing a difference between:
>
>    any( 1&2 ) # any of all of (1, 2)
>
> ...and:
>
>    any( 1, 2 ) # any of (1, 2)

Those two are very different.

     any(1,2) == 2  is true

     any(1&2) == 2  is false

Nested heterogeneous junctions are extremely useful. For example, the
common factors of two numbers ($x and $y) are the eigenstates of:

    all( any( factors($x) ), any( factors($y) ) )

> If I'm not mistaken on these matters, that means that:
>
>    any( 1|2, 1&2, 5|15, 5&15 ) eqv any(1, 2, 5, 15)

No. They have equivalent eigenstates, but they are not themselves equivalent.
For example, any( 1|2, 1&2, 5|15, 5&15 ) compares == to 1&2;
whereas any(1, 2, 5, 15) doesn't.

> And I expect that similar rules hold for other compound junctions.  In
> short, I won't be surprised if all compound junctions can flatten into
> equivalent simple junctions.

In general, they can't; not without changing their meaning.

Damian