(Sorry if this gets a bit lengthy and hijacks the current thread, but
there are some thoughts I want to share about perl6.org, and Patrick
handed me the opportunity on a silver plate here ;-)

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:16:56AM -0500, Kyle Hasselbacher wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Saravanan Thiyagarajan
>> <perlsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Would like to be a volunteer in working for perl-6.
>> > Can some one help me to get into right direction ?
>>
>> This is how I did it:  http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=780001
>
> Now added to http://rakudo.org/how-to-help .  Perhaps we also need
> a "how to get involved" section on perl6.org ...?

Sure. We also need a "Fun" section, and maybe others like "Business"
(once we get that far), and other sections need more links too (For
example I haven't added Blizkost to the "Compilers" box yet because I
feared it would make it too big).

In other words, we need to scale. I originally planned
perl6-projects.org as a one-page site, containing only the few most
important Perl 6 links.

For the new, improved and extended perl6.org we need

0) a champion
1) a design
2) a backend
3) content

0) Somebody (let's call him or her the champion) has to drive the
effort, nag the people about updates, and generally be the driving
force. This would be a great opportunity for a newcomer to earn her
spurs (not so off-topic after all :-). If nobody wants to take it up I
can try to do it, but my tuits are limited.

1) The current (visual) design is not very well suited for sub pages -
we need some kind of navigation, and areas for more text for that.
Su-She (who contributed the first great design) is working on an
improved (non-crammed) layout for the home page, hopefully she'll also
come up with something neat for the sub pages. See
<http://sushee.no-ip.org/p6p/> for a work in progress

2) When we have sub pages we should avoid to have too much repeating
code in the HTML, so we need some kind of backend to store templates (or
at least headers/footers and navigation). The simplest things that could
possibly work here is SSI (server side includes). If that's still too
cumbersome (and from recent experiences with SSI I fear it'll become so
all too soon) I'd go with a simple offline CMS. As a matter of fact I've
written one for small private projects (see
<http://perlgeek.de/en/software/mowyw>; currently written in Perl 6, but
I plan to port it to Perl 6 too), if nobody can suggest something better
I'd go with it (but of course the champion has a say here *hint*)

3) Content is quite easy to gather. People often say "we should have $x
on perl6.org"; once the infrastructure is there, it'll be a piece of
cake to actually add them (it's easy right now too, but only if the
category exists, and if there's enough space left in the corresponding
box). There are also other sources of information worth considering. For
example I want to put the information that's currently on
<http://dev.perl.org/perl6/lists/> on the soon-to-be "community" page of
perl6.org.

As always, contributions, ideas and anything non-bikesheddy is welcome!

Cheers,
Moritz