From: Moritz Lenz [mailto:mor...@faui2k3.org]
Sent: 10 February 2010 20:27
To: neil.mowb...@calgacus.com
Cc: perl6-compi...@perl.org
Subject: Re: New user trying to compiler perl6 without success

Hi,

neil.mowb...@calgacus.com wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This is the first time I have tried to compile parrot and perl6.
> I have tried various combinations of perl6 and parrot snapshots
> but all perl6 builds fail (at different places).  Can anyone help
> me get a clean build?
>
> For example getting the latest parrot from svn truck and perl6
> from github I can build parrot 2.0.0 with all tests passing but
> the build of perl6 fails with

Did you try the

perl Configure --gen-parrot

invocation as described in rakudo's README file?
If not, which commands did you use for building?

> /usr/bin/perl -MExtUtils::Command -e cp src/s1_setting.pir
> src/gen_setting.pir
> /usr/local/bin/parrot.exe  -o perl6_s1.pbc perl6.pir
> error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected '\n', expecting '('
>       in file 'perl6.pir' line 29

This looks like some dynamic parrot or rakudo libraries are missing, but
in normal circumstances you don't get such an error. Did you do a full
'make install' of parrot? (Can be a local install, but it must be
installed). A 'make install-bin' won't be enough.

Cheers,
Moritz