Hi both

Thanks for your quick replies.

"Are you trying to build this on a 128MB VM slice or something?"
- You hit the nail on the head - you even got the memory allocation spot on!
Had been using a VM I built to run the w3c validator and completely forgotten
I'd dropped the memory down to minimum. Just upped the memory to 1gb and
started make again and it zoomed straight through grammar and is now building
core.
Always something so simple!

Thanks once again,
Ian

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:45:26AM +0100, Moritz Lenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your report
>
> Am 19.11.2010 09:24, schrieb Ian Kent:
> >I've been trying to build Rakudo from source using Ubuntu Server 10.10.
> >Configure.pl ran successfully but running make always ends with the
> >following error:
> >make: *** [src/gen/perl6-grammar.pir] Killed
> >
> >Am I doing something wrong or am I just missing some library or other?
>
> I'd guess that you ran into some sort of resource limit: either the
> memory was exhausted, or there's a CPU time limit or something.
>
> Could you please check that? let a program like top or htop running
> while you're compiling, and see if the current process uses up all
> memory. Also check the output of 'ulimit -a' (or post it here if you
> don't know how to read it.

It's definitely memory exhaustion.  Linux sends SIGKILL to processes when
memory is exhausted; there are detailed diagnostics in the kernel message log,
displayed by the 'dmesg' command.

Building Rakudo requires quite a bit of memory (it varies quite a bit
from release to release, I've seen a range of 400MB to 2000MB).

Actually the most memory-intensive stage is src/gen/core.pir.  Failure during
grammar.pir indicates that you are *well* below the minimum requirement.  Are
you trying to build this on a 128MB VM slice or something?

-sorear

This message and any attachments are intended for the persons named as
addressees only and may contain confidential information. In addition they may
be protected by copyright.

If you receive it in error, notify us, delete it and do not make use of or copy
it. You must not copy, disseminate or otherwise distribute or publish this
message, except for the purposes for which this message is intended, without
our consent.

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet
e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you
understand and accept this lack of security when e-mailing us.

For company information, guidance and how to file documents online,
please see our website www.companieshouse.gov.uk.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Hosted Security, a service from
Websense.