On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:56:20 -0700 (PDT) Sean O'Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A few more tweaks:
>
> - inline and remove _to_keyed and _to_keyed_integer.
> - inline pack_op
> - reorder the big elsif to test for /^\[/ once at the top, then only
> match
>   against keyed/non-keyed.
>
> At this point, startup time dominates for anything as small as our test
> programs, so for testing purposes we may want to look at some sort of
> "batch mode".
I had a patch to move things to
lib/Parrot/Assembler.pm # front-end
lib/Parrot/Assembler/Macro.pm
                     Assembler.pm

and to modify Parrot::Test to use Parrot::Assembler instead of calling
assemble.pl;
make test speedup
Win32, PIII 700, 392MB: from ~6m10 to ~1m10
Linux, P200 MMX, 64MB:
  from:
    real    14m46.652s
    user    13m37.560s
    sys     1m4.760s
  to:
    real    3m24.666s
    user    3m7.730s
    sys     0m14.790s

I was about to submit, but recent commits means it is outdated...
The patch is a trivial cut'n'paste work, so if you don't want
to wait until august the 24th (going in vacation), it is trivial to do
that.

Regards
Mattia