> How silent should "compileSilently" be?
>
> no trace in the system :
> 15314 <https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?15314>
> compileSilently and method history / changes file
>
> not half silenlty
> 13023 <https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?13023>
> Test Cases should not do things half silently
>
> not "SystemAnnouncer-silent"
> 10560 <https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?10560>
> SystemAnnouncer and compileSilently
>

> ?
>
> What do you think, what granularity of "silent" do we need.
> I see at least three different use cases:
>
> - just an ordinary compile

? Silent means that: Core infrastructure is not updated properly (i.e.
RPackage) and tools (Browsers) can end desynchronised with the methods.

> - compile for tests

Probably the one... But I wonder if this is a good idea anyway. I'd believe
most tests using silently are using it wrongly and shouldn't be using it in
the first place.

> - compile autogenerated methods.

This one may not be silent. If the auto-generated method will be visible
(saved in a package, can be browsed, etc...) then it shouldn't be silent.

Thierry